Middle East

Brevik provokes parole 10 years after the attack

Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik yesterday sought parole just 10 years after the most deadly peacetime attack in Norway, using his court appearance to spread his ideology and Nazi salute. And praised the white supremacist.
The 42-year-old claims to three judges that he is not liable for the July 2011 attack, which killed 77 people because he was “brainwashed” by the blood and honor of the neo-Nazi movement, away from violence. did. ..
Wearing a black suit, white shirt and gold tie, Brevik gave a Nazi salute to greet the judge in the district court in southern Telemark.
His remarks convinced the families of experts, survivors and victims who were afraid to use a three-day hearing live broadcast by several media with a slight delay as a platform for his radical views. I couldn’t get it. On July 22, 2011, Brevik fired a truck bomb near a government agency in Oslo, shooting and killing 69 other people (mostly teens) at the Labor Party Youth Group’s summer camp on Utoya.
He said he killed them because they accepted multiculturalism.
He was sentenced to 21 years in prison in 2012 and was extended indefinitely as long as it was considered a threat to society.
Norwegian law at the time required him to work for at least 10 years before he was eligible to apply for conditional release.
Family fears were immediately confirmed yesterday. He appeared with a shaved head and entered the room with a sign in English saying “Stop your slaughter against our white country.” In a long speech, he admitted only that he allowed him to intensify and told the court that he was just a “foot soldier” of the blood and honorary movement that he said was responsible for the attack. Did. Given his “word” that he is now away from violence and horror, he said he wanted to continue his national socialist struggle in a non-violent way.
But he said he was ready to abandon any political activity if the court asked him to do so.
Tore Bjorgo, director of the Center for Radical Research (C-REX) at the University of Oslo, said:
“He said what he had to say to maintain the illusion of conditional release, but he quickly revealed his true self when he justified the crime,” he said. I told AFP.
When prosecutor Fulda Karlsdottil read a long list of victims and how they died, Brevik said that “72% of them were in the lead position in the Labor Party.” Interfered.
Brevik analyzed his own radicalization process in a strange attempt, sometimes laughing at the people sitting in the room, when he tried to exonerate himself.
In a long, rambling ideological speech rarely interrupted by judges, Brevik often referred to “cultural war” and “white supremacism.”
The families of the survivors and victims were angry with the promotion Brevik received.
“I don’t think Braivik should be broadcast because it’s” scandalous “or” painful, “” Erin Restaurante, who survived the attack, wrote on Twitter.
“Because he is a far-right symbol that has already influenced several other mass slaughter.”
Brevik’s attack has been the most deadly in Norway since World War II, and his demands are expected to be widely rejected.
However, hearings are seen as yet another test of the rule of law in Norway, and Brevik has the right to be treated in court like any other citizen.
In 2016, Brevik, who had three free-use prison cells with a TV and DVD player, a game console, and a typewriter, was isolated from other prisoners, making the Norwegian state “inhuman” and “degrading.” I was convicted of being treated. ..
The ruling was overturned by an appeal. This is not the first time Brevik has claimed to have abandoned violence.
He has previously made similar statements in court and in letters, especially to AFP, even comparing to Nelson Mandela.
His 2011 massacre affected other attacks, including the 2019 massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Prior to yesterday’s hearing, a support group for the family said, “I would like to encourage you to focus as little as possible on the terrorist and his message.”
Meanwhile, Brevik’s father, Jens Brevik, told the German tabloid Bilt that the parole hearing was “ridiculous.” “Anders never goes out. Probably not in the next 20 years. I don’t want to release him,” he said.



http://www.gulf-times.com/story/708233/Breivik-provokes-as-he-seeks-parole-decade-after-a Brevik provokes parole 10 years after the attack

Back to top button