Residents of the East Grand Bahamas and drivers traveling to and from the eastern settlements are concerned and frustrated by the ongoing delays and closures due to restoration work on the Casuarina Bridge that began late last year.
On November 19, 2021, All Bahamas Construction Ltd. (ABC) won the full construction contract for the Casuarina Bridge, and work began three days later.
This led to the initial closure from November 30th to December 2nd from 9am to 2pm.
However, users of the bridge say multiple lanes were closed and at least once the bridge was completely closed, and without public advertising or prior warning since then. Access point to East Grand Bahama.
Shakara Adderley of First Class Tours expressed disappointment at having to detour with passengers heading to McLean’s Town on June 24th.
“We were very shocked that the bridge was completely closed,” Adderley said.
“Usually at least one lane is open, but there were cones blocking entrance and detour signs.
“It was very inconvenient because we had to turn and go back up the highway to Fortune Bay Drive just to access the new bridge.”
She continued, “Thankfully, I was able to get in touch with the captain to let them know I was a little behind schedule or that the people I was transporting may have missed the ferry. “
East End resident Maria Jones says she avoids using the Casuarina Bridge entirely because she is upset that the restoration is taking too long.
“At some point people couldn’t cross that bridge at all. Then they blocked both left lanes and we had to use only one side of the bridge to go both ways.
“I don’t know if that route will be open or closed, and if one lane is opened, the traffic can be terrible in the morning, so driving that route is cumbersome and frustrating, so now I’m trying to switch to the other. We use bridges.”
I think that there are people who are concerned not only about the inconvenience but also about safety.
Jones said: I was worried someone would hit my car as the setup is confusing. ”
East Grand Bahamas Rep. Kwasi Thompson said:
“They (drivers) are using one lane, which obviously affects traffic. Hmm.”
“I spoke with the president of the development company and encouraged them to work safely as soon as possible to ensure that both lanes were reopened. You showed me that you’re working as fast as you can.”
As the third anniversary of Hurricane Dorian approaches, residents hope the bridge will be repaired and fully operational soon.
Adderly said: They started working on this bridge last year. why is it taking so long? God forbid another storm to happen. And no one knows how long it will be before the bridge is repaired again. ”
Lucaya Services Company Limited (LUSCO), a subsidiary of The Bahamas Development Company (DEVCO) responsible for the restoration, said work was needed to repair wear and tear as well as damage from high winds and storms. I was. The surge of Hurricane Dorian.
Charisse Brown, LUSCO’s chief executive officer and senior legal counsel, said that since January, about 50 percent of the design for seawall construction has been completed, the site has been cleared and leveled, large rocks have been removed, and embankments have been built. , made great progress. and clearing land to begin construction of breakwaters.
“Much of the remaining work is expected to be completed over the next four months,” said Brown.
https://thenassauguardian.com/bridge-commuters-frustrated-over-lengthy-restoration/ Bridge commuters frustrated by slow restoration