Europe

California AG Announces Oil Industry Survey on “Plastic Crisis”

https://sputniknews.com/20220429/california-ag-announces-investigation-into-oil-industry-over-plastics-crisis-1095135343.html

Feedback@sputniknews.com

+74956456601

MIA “Rosiya Segodnya”

2022

news

en_EN

Sputnik International

Feedback@sputniknews.com

+74956456601

MIA “Rosiya Segodnya”

https://cdnn1.img.sputniknews.com/img/105319/61/1053196161_530:0:4607:3058_1920x0_80_0_0_31f4e4fe7a18ea16cbff8b2529b69fe5.jpg

Sputnik International

Feedback@sputniknews.com

+74956456601

MIA “Rosiya Segodnya”

California, Plastic Waste, Pollution, Environment, Us, Attorney General, ExxonMobil

The AG office is said to be tricking the public into believing in the “myth” of recyclable plastics, as ExxonMobil is a group of scholars who are now advocating in science actions to deal with the problem. It states that it has already issued a summons letter.

Attorney General of California, Rob Bonta, announced Thursday that the state is investigating the role of the powerful fossil fuel industry in ExxonMobil and other so-called “plastic crises.”

Calling the oil giant “a major cause of plastic pollution in the world,” Bonta said that the fossil fuel and petrochemical industries are “actively driving the development of petroleum-based plastic products and the harmful consequences of these products.” We conducted a campaign to minimize the understanding of the general public. “

“For more than half a century, the plastics industry has been engaged in aggressive campaigns to deceive the general public, perpetuating the myth that recycling can solve the plastic crisis,” Bonta recently revealed. I explained with reference to 1970s internal documents It warned industry executives that recycling is “infeasible” and that there is “serious suspicion” that recycling plastics “may be economically viable.”

Is humanity destined?Studies show that recycled PET bottles leach out more chemicals than newly made ones.

“This kind of investigation” said the California AG “investigates the role of the fossil fuel industry in the emergence and exacerbation of the plastic pollution crisis and, if any, what laws were violated in the process.”

As a Bonta office, “US plastic recycling rates have never exceeded 9%,” according to sources, including the Environmental Protection Agency. Explained in the press release.. “The remaining 91% is landfilled, incinerated, or released to the environment,” says the AG office.

Elsewhere on Thursday, a group of scientists and experts from around the world I wrote a letter In the journal Chemistry He insisted on tackling the plastic crisis head-on and enacted legislation to limit, regulate and eventually phase out the production of new plastics.
“Even if we try to improve recycling and manage waste as much as possible, we will release more than 17 million tons of plastic to nature each year,” said Melanie Bergmann of the Alfred Wegener Institute in Germany, the founder of the letter. Insisted. “If production continues to grow, we will face real Sisyphus challenges,” he warned.

“Exponentially increasing production is really the root cause of the problem, and the amount of plastic we have produced so far has already crossed the boundaries of the planet,” another scientist claimed. “If we do not work on it, all other measures will not be able to achieve the goal of significantly reducing the release of plastics into the environment.”



https://sputniknews.com/20220429/california-ag-announces-investigation-into-oil-industry-over-plastics-crisis-1095135343.html California AG Announces Oil Industry Survey on “Plastic Crisis”

Show More
Back to top button