Many Croatian towns, villages and islands have “unique” cakes, including Rab.
If you’re visiting the island, don’t miss Lapska Torta, or a love cake. The main ingredients are almonds and maraschino liqueur, traditionally baked in a spiral.
Legend has it that this cake was first served in 1177 when Pope Alexander III consecrated the Assumed Cathedral of Love.
Flour – 500 g
Butter – 50 g
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Maraschino Liqueur – 1/2 tbsp
Egg – 2
Water – 2 tbsp
Almonds – 1 kg
Sugar – 900 g
Maraschino Liqueur-6 tbsp
Orange peel – 11/2 orange
Lemon peel – 1 lemon
1. Whiten almonds – remove the skins and grind them.
2. Mix flour, butter, sugar, eggs, salt, water and maraschino until the dough is firm. Place the dough in the refrigerator and let it cool for 30 minutes.
3. For filing. Put almonds in a bowl, add sugar, oranges, lemon zest, eggs and maraschino and mix well.
4. Spread the pastry very thinly, cut it into a spiral using a pastry cutter wheel and place it on the baking paper in the oven tray.
5 Add filing on top and add some unground almonds in the center.
6. Use a piece of cut dough to make a spiral and use it on the side of the spiral. Wrinkle to create the unique shape of a love cake.
7. Bake in an oven preheated to 100 ° C (with fan) or 120 ° C (without fan) for about 40 minutes.
8. Take it out, let it cool, and sprinkle it with plenty of powdered sugar.
Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter
https://www.croatiaweek.com/croatian-recipes-rab-cake/ Croatian Recipe: Love Cake | Croatia Week