In June 2019, Philippine police officers conducted an undercover investigation into two suspected drug dealers in the suburbs of Manila.
During the operation, authorities claimed that the suspects involved them in a shootout, shooting a policeman around his neck and killing him. Two suspects were also killed.
A 3-year-old child, the daughter of one of the suspects, was involved in a shootout. She was hit in the head and later died in the hospital. Police said she was used as a “human shield” by her father. However, the child’s mother disputed the report, saying that her family was already asleep and her husband was unarmed when police began shooting. She later filed a murder charge against the police.
Ronald de La Rosa had just taken on his Senate seat when the incident happened. He was previously the Chief of Police for President Rodrigo Duterte and Chief Operating Officer of the Drug War. At least 6,600 people have already died..
When asked about the rules of conduct of the drug war and the death of an innocent child, the Senator first equipped it with a mixture of Tagalog and English. “It’s an imperfect world … sh * t happens.
“If you are a police officer, do you really want your child to be involved in a shootout? Never. To be honest, there is really collateral damage.”
When a senator expressed surprise on Friday and submitted a candidate to run for President of the Philippines in 2022, just 30 minutes before the deadline, rights groups warned about his human rights record and his recognition of immunity. ing.
Human Rights Watch’s Carlos Conde told Al Jazeera that De La Rosa’s candidacy has shown a “double of the brutal policy” of a deadly war within the “Duterte faction.”
“We are thus refusing to admit the issue of drug war,” he said, saying that Senator candidacy guarantees that “they will protect themselves from accountability” if he wins the election. Added.
“They want to get some insurance to protect themselves after 2022.”
Conde also said the drug war policy would give De La Rosa “significant political capital” as a candidate for the ruling party.
“Apart from that, not promising to continue the drug war would be a denial of Duterte’s policy, so they would support it.”
Senators have long fueled controversy.
In the previous case where there was a police officer Accused of killing an unarmed teenagerDela Rosa also defended his men, saying the case was “overkill” but authorities did not knowingly kill high school students. Later, three police officers were convicted of murder in the death of a teenager in 2017.
The police chief at the time also rejected the Supreme Court’s 2018 order to publish drug war data and other details of police activities because of the safety of the police officers involved.
“I hate cowards,” said De La Rosa, a temporary prison director of the country, when he told prison guards that he should be “ready to kill” and not be threatened by prisoners. I criticized.
In 2016, police officers under him were accused of killing a mayor who had already been detained on drug-related charges. Dela Rosa also issued a police memo in 2016, ordering drug suspects to be “neutralized” in connection with the authorities’ “double barrel” campaign against drug suspects.
According to election lawyer Romuro Macarintal, his own words that if Senator Bat de la Rosa runs for president, he is willing to give way to Sarah Zimmermann, the mayor of Davao, is his intention to run. It is proof that there is no such thing, and it may be the basis for making him declare a nuisance candidate.#ANCRundown https://t.co/oCzbUVDGbS
— Mike Navallo (@mikenavallo) October 11, 2021
“Careless attitude toward human rights”
Duterte’s drug war is now Survey target At the International Criminal Court (ICC).
With the exception of Duterte, the only other chief executive specifically mentioned in the pretrial room investigation is De La Rosa.
As of the end of April 2021, police and other security forces had killed at least 6,117 suspected drug dealers during their activities, according to the latest government data released in June. However, government figures quoted by the United Nations in June 2020 already indicate at least 8,600 deaths.
According to human rights groups, the death toll can be between 27,000 and 30,000. They have accused authorities of performing summary executions that killed innocent suspects, including children.
Duterte dismissed the ICC’s investigation and promised to prevent prosecutors from coming to the country.
The investigation also included summary executions in the southern city of Davao, where Duterte served as mayor for several years. De La Rosa served as Davao Police Chief under Duterte from 2012 to 2013. Prior to that, he also played various police roles in Davao.
Duterte’s daughter, Sara Duterte Carpio, currently runs the city, and some analysts are from Della Rosa. Seat warmer for her candidacy.. National election rules allow late arrivals until November 15 if a declared candidate resigns and gives way to an alternative candidate.
When the ICC investigation was announced in September, Della Rosa responded at a Senate Commission hearing: Foreign court. “
He did not mention that The Hague’s ICC banned the death penalty, and the Philippines abolished that practice.
Edre Olalia is president of the National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL), a group that frequently represents human rights victims. He told Al Jazeera that De La Rosa’s candidacy is “a clear bad sign for respect, promotion and protection of human rights” in the Philippines.
“His attitude towards his records and serious claims [of human rights violations]The casual and even careless way he responded to these claims before the ICC-it reflects a lot about his political position, “Olaria said.
He adds that Dela Rosa’s candidacy “affects scripts that want to distract accountability even at the ICC level.”
“Even if he is not a placeholder [candidate]If he becomes president, he will be as far away as he is now, but will still benefit. But you will never really know. “
“Mocking of the process”
De La Rosa does not explicitly deny that he can resign in favor of Duterte Carpio, but he claims he is eligible to become the country’s president-elect.
Immediately after submitting his candidacy on Friday, Senator told reporters in Manila that he was elected presidential candidate for the ruling PDP-Laban Party two hours before the 5 pm deadline (09:00 GMT). He said it was just.
“That’s the strategy, because if you announce it early, you’ll be the target early, so we masked it,” he explained.
But when asked if Duterte Carpio was willing to give way, he replied. This is a party decision. This is not my personal decision. “
In another interview on Monday, De La Rosa said Duterte Carpio was “very easy to win,” so “if people don’t want to accept me as a serious candidate, I’ll give her way. “.
In response to a statement by De La Rosa, the rights group Karapatan said the Senator’s decision “ridiculed” the election process.
In a statement to Al Jazeera, Karapatan said when he ran for president in 2016, Duterte’s “shameless tactic we are familiar with and cannot be pulled directly from the playbook.” I did.
“There are more ominous plans that could definitely be implemented in the coming days and months. It cannot be ignored by substituting the possibility of Sarah Zimmermann eventually becoming president. .. [dela Rosa], Or as Vice President of Marcos Jr., “the group added, referring to Ferdinand Marcos, the son of the late dictator and running for president.
NUPL President Oralia will show “the shameless trifle of the solemn rights that our previous generation fought” if De La Rosa proved to be standing in front of another candidate. I added that.
“They see it as a game rather than a serious political movement. They are playing us for fools.”
In addition to Dela Rosa, it was the opposition leader who expressed his intention to run for president. Vice President Leni Robredo, Senator Manny Pacquiao, International Boxing Champion, Mayor of Manila Iscomoleno, Former Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
Another lesser-known Duterte ally, Deputy Foreign Secretary Ernesto Abella, has also declared her candidacy for president. Prior to being appointed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Avella was a spokesman for Duterte.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/14/duterte-drug-enforcers-presidential-bid-raises-alarms-questions Duterte’s former drug executor runs for president, so be wary, distrust | Political News