Fernander: Coleby-Davis issue closed
Police Commissioner Clayton Fernander said an investigation into allegations that Transport and Housing Minister Jobeth Colby Davis hit a police officer with his car last year was closed due to lack of evidence.
Fernander said an “investigator on our legal team” looked at the files and made that decision.
“Then the matter is closed,” he said.
Last May, Ricardo Walks, president of the Association of Police Officers, said a police officer was attacked by a female driver during a carnival event.
Walkes did not identify any suspect drivers.
However, claims spread on social media that Colby Davis was involved in the incident.
When asked about the allegations at the time, Coleby-Davis said: I was with her 3 year old daughter on Saturday so there was no acting in front of her.
“Even if that was my personality, I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t do that in front of my 3-year-old daughter because that’s not my personality. So it’s not true.”
When asked about the officer who made the allegations on Friday, Fernander said: That cop, I told him and he would go to work.
“…we deal with facts and evidence. That’s what we deal with and that’s what you need to go to court.”
He added: We don’t do media research. Facts and evidence are required to be submitted to the court. Other than that, magistrates and judges say, “Man, everybody get out of here.” There is no evidence connecting it.
Fernander says: Once you have the facts, put the pieces here.
“Find it out, go get it. It’s not just a slam dunk. You get out there and investigate.”
He said that if investigators do what they are supposed to do, they will eventually be able to see the full picture.
https://thenassauguardian.com/fernander-matter-involving-coleby-davis-is-closed/ Fernander: Coleby-Davis issue closed