Middle East

Filipino typhoon deaths increase to 388: government

According to the government, the death toll from one of the most devastating typhoons that hit the Philippines in recent years increased to 388 on Monday. This is because the outbreak of illness threatened part of the disaster area.

Typhoon Rye struck the southern and central parts of Asian countries on December 16th and 17th, killing power lines and trees, causing deadly floods and leaving hundreds of thousands homeless.

Manila’s Office of Civil Defense has raised the death toll from Rye to 388, leaving 60 missing and injuring hundreds. Police previously killed 375 people.

Civil defense officials said more than 4 million people were assisted by the typhoon in 430 cities and towns where about 482,000 homes were damaged or destroyed.

More than 300,000 people remain in shelters and more than 200,000 have been evacuated to relatives and friends’ homes.

Some survivors likened typhoon Rye to super typhoon Haiyan. This resulted in the death or disappearance of 7,300 people in central Philippines in 2013, the most deadly record in the Philippines.

The archipelago is hit by an average of 20 cyclones each year.

When the government rushed to bring food, water and clothing into devastated areas, at least 140 people were recently sick with suspected contaminated water, creating new threats.

According to Under Secretary of Health Maria Rosario Bergaire, 80 people in the southern Dinagat Islands have acute gastroenteritis and 54 are being treated for diarrhea at a hospital on the neighboring tourist island of Siargao.

She told reporters that the central city of Cebu reported 16 cases of diarrhea.

“Everyone knows that these areas have been cut off. Some areas still have tap water, but the pipes are damaged and can be contaminated,” Bergale said. ..

The typhoon also typhooned more than 4,000 coronavirus vaccines, damaging 141 hospitals and clinics, of which only 30 resumed complete surgery, Vergeire said.



http://www.gulf-times.com/story/706955/Philippines-typhoon-death-toll-rises-to-388-govt Filipino typhoon deaths increase to 388: government

Back to top button