Middle East

First police death in Sudan followed by anti-coup protests

According to witnesses, Sudanese security forces fired a volley of tear gas to disperse protesters in Khartoum and Omdurman.

A recent protest in Sudan arose when the United Nations began “consultations” with political and social players. (Reuters)

Senior Sudanese police officers were killed during a protest in the Sudanese capital as security forces fired tear gas at thousands of people who continued to rally against a military coup in October.

“We have defeated the martyr while performing missions and ensuring protests,” police statement said in the capital Khartoum, without giving details of how he was killed. Said in the book.

He was the first dead to be announced among security forces since protests for a return to civilian rule began more than two months ago.

Security crackdowns on protests have killed at least 63 people and injured hundreds, according to medical officials.

Thursday’s rally came after converging from several parts of Khartoum and receiving lukewarm support from the United Nations bid to facilitate negotiations between rival Sudanese factions.

The UN push was aimed at resolving the crisis since the October 25 military coup led by General Abdel Fatta Albahan and the resignation of civilian Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdock earlier this month.

There is no government in Sudan, foreign aid has been suspended, and regular demonstrations of coups (with up to tens of thousands of participants) are routinely carried out by violent crackdowns.

The demonstrators also traveled to the capital city of Omdurman and the streets of Port Sudan in the eastern part of the country.

Following a repeating pattern, security forces fired a volley of tear gas to disperse the protesters of Khartoum and Omdurman, witnesses said.

Authorities repeatedly denied the use of live ammunition in confronting protesters, often claiming that numerous security forces were injured during “out of peace” demonstrations.

read more:
Thousands oppose the coup in Sudan as security forces fire tear gas

UN push

On Monday, UN Special Representative Volker Perthes said he had begun “consultations” with political and social stakeholders as well as armed and civil society groups.

“We do not accept this initiative at all,” said 62-year-old protester Awad Saleh.

“It’s not clear what it constitutes, so it’s not enough for us.”

The UN push has received various reactions.

The Sudanese Expert Association, an independent trade union coalition dedicated to organizing protests, said it has completely rejected the UN initiative.

The mainstream military faction for freedom and change, a major civilian democratic group, said the invitation was “discussed” internally before announcing its position.

However, spokesman Wagdy Saleh said the FFC refused “any partnership” with the military.

The ruling Sovereign Council of Nouvelle, formed by Barhan following a coup as chairman, welcomed the proposed talks, as did the United States, Great Britain, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

On Wednesday, Egyptian President Abdel Fatta al-Sisi said Sudan’s stability “will not be achieved without the agreement of the entire army.”

Barhan argued that the military takeover was “not a coup” but “only to correct the process of Sudan’s transition.”

read more:
When to end violence “: The United Nations begins a political process in conflict-stricken Sudan

Source: TRT World and distributors

https://www.trtworld.com/africa/first-police-death-in-sudan-as-anti-coup-protests-continue-53619?utm_source=other&utm_medium=rss First police death in Sudan followed by anti-coup protests

Back to top button