Obtain free World updates
We’ll ship you a myFT Every day Digest e-mail rounding up the most recent World information each morning.
The White Home is to ban some US funding into Chinese language quantum computing, superior chips and synthetic intelligence, because it boosts efforts to cease the Chinese language navy from accessing American expertise and capital.
The brand new government order, which comes into power subsequent yr, will largely have an effect on non-public fairness and enterprise capital teams in addition to US buyers in joint ventures with Chinese language corporations.
Saying the ban yesterday, Joe Biden mentioned technological progress within the three sectors in China posed “vital nationwide safety dangers”.
China’s commerce ministry expressed “severe concern” in regards to the order, saying it “deviates from the ideas of truthful competitors and the market economic system that the US constantly advocates”. Beijing retained the fitting to take countermeasures, it added.
US officers are hoping allies will introduce comparable bans. The UK authorities confirmed right this moment it was taking a look at new measures to limit outbound funding in China. Germany and the European Fee have expressed curiosity in growing their very own measures, based on White Home officers.
However officers in Japan, one of many US’s closest allies in Asia, have privately made clear that Tokyo doesn’t intend to revise laws governing outbound China investments.
Right here’s what else I’m retaining tabs on right this moment:
US inflation: New knowledge is predicted to point out costs rose final month at roughly the identical tempo because the month earlier than, strengthening the case for the Federal Reserve to carry rates of interest regular.
Outcomes: Alibaba, Ralph Lauren and Wall Road Journal mother or father firm Information Corp report earnings.
Financial coverage: Mexico’s central financial institution is predicted to carry its key rate of interest unchanged for the third consecutive month.
Niger: The heads of the west African states meet to debate a response to the navy overthrow of the civilian authorities in Niger.
No-confidence vote in Narendra Modi: India’s prime minister faces a no-confidence vote within the decrease home of parliament over his failure to convey peace to the northeastern state of Manipur.
5 extra high tales
1. Fernando Villavicencio, a presidential candidate in Ecuador, was final night time shot lifeless by gunmen throughout a marketing campaign occasion within the nation’s capital, Quito. The previous journalist and lawmaker was an ally of outgoing chief Guillermo Lasso, who triggered the snap elections after going through impeachment fees. Learn the total story.
2. Walt Disney is getting ready for a future with out conventional tv as chief government Bob Iger mentioned he was contemplating “strategic choices” for the corporate’s portfolio of TV networks. Iger mentioned movie studios, theme parks and streaming would drive future development on the leisure firm. Learn extra on Disney’s newest outcomes.
3. Elon Musk’s X was fined $350,000 after lacking a deadline for complying with a secret search warrant for Donald Trump’s account. The DoJ’s search warrant directed the corporate previously generally known as Twitter to supply knowledge and information associated to Trump’s @realdonaldtrump account. Learn extra on Jack Smith’s makes an attempt to entry Trump’s account.
4. The flexibility of attorneys to supply corporations with confidential recommendation may very well be below menace from new US guidelines forcing auditors to take extra accountability for rooting out company fraud, quite a few multinationals have warned. Learn extra on the menace to attorney-client privilege.
5. Hedge fund supervisor Boaz Weinstein’s flagship funding technique has fallen sharply this yr amid a broad market rally after he predicted late final yr that world shares had been heading for a bear market. The $1.3bn fund — which bets lengthy and quick in fairness and credit score markets — has misplaced 7.7 per cent to date in 2023, based on a letter to buyers seen by the Monetary Instances. Learn extra on New York-based Saba Capital.
The Huge Learn
Individuals have guess $245bn on sporting occasions since a landmark Supreme Courtroom ruling 5 years in the past overturned a 1992 ban on sports activities betting within the US. The courtroom resolution reworked sports activities betting right into a high-growth tech enterprise with revenues of greater than $12bn in 2022. However beneath the growth is an underbelly of dependancy of unknown proportions, experiences Oliver Barnes.
We’re additionally studying . . .
Brazil’s neo-Nazis: The sight of raised-arm salutes and Nazi flags within the nation’s traditionally German settlements is reigniting fears of far-right extremism.
New York’s migrant disaster: Since final spring almost 100,000 migrants have arrived in New York, straining a shelter system that was already struggling to manage.
‘We have now an actual design alternative about how we deploy AI’: MIT economist David Autor has an upbeat view on the potential of synthetic intelligence that’s at odds with different economists.
Chart of the day
The collapse of the Black Sea grain deal and Russian strikes on Ukrainian infrastructure have renewed the menace to the world’s meals safety from disrupted provides. Whereas the biggest importers of Ukrainian grain by sea embrace China and Spain, the nations prone to be worst affected are growing nations in Africa and the Center East.
Take a break from the information
HTSI, the FT’s luxurious items journal, has recognized 5 sensible buys to snap up this summer season. They embrace an ultra-minimalist handmade leather-based e-book bag from Italy and a conveyable charcoal barbecue designed by superstar chef Heston Blumenthal.
Extra contributions from Tee Zhuo and Benjamin Wilhelm
Really helpful newsletters for you
Asset Administration — Discover out the within story of the movers and shakers behind a multitrillion-dollar trade. Enroll right here
The Week Forward — Begin each week with a preview of what’s on the agenda. Enroll right here