Obtain free World updates
We’ll ship you a myFT Day by day Digest electronic mail rounding up the most recent World information each morning.
Six extra girls have alleged that financier Crispin Odey sexually assaulted or harassed them, increasing the timeline of his abuse throughout 5 a long time and elevating additional questions as to the extent his behaviour was tolerated by senior colleagues.
The ladies got here ahead after the Monetary Instances final month revealed the accounts of 13 girls who stated that they had been abused by Odey. Since that article, the hedge fund supervisor has been ousted from Odey Asset Administration and the UK’s Monetary Conduct Authority has come underneath scrutiny over its dealing with of a long-running probe into the agency.
The six girls embody two former receptionists and an intern at Odey Asset Administration, with the earliest of the brand new allegations courting again to 1985 when an inside designer, then 26, stated she was violently assaulted at Odey’s residence in London.
The brand new accounts have been corroborated by means of paperwork seen by the FT in addition to by means of interviews with family and friends members the ladies confided in. Odey’s attorneys beforehand advised the FT he strenuously disputed the primary set of allegations.
Odey and Odey Asset Administration didn’t reply to requests for remark relating to the brand new allegations.
Right here’s what else I’m maintaining tabs on right this moment and over the weekend:
Central bankers: European Central Financial institution president Christine Lagarde speaks on the twenty third Rencontres Économiques d’Aix-en-Provence discussion board in France right this moment, along with her British counterpart Andrew Bailey talking on the identical occasion on Sunday. Lagarde’s deputy, Luis de Guindos, offers an deal with at King’s School London right this moment.
Financial information: The UK has the Halifax home worth index, Germany publishes its Could industrial manufacturing index and Canada and the US launch employment surveys for final month right this moment.
Biden in Europe: The US president begins a two-day go to to the UK on Sunday that features conferences with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and King Charles III, earlier than he travels to Lithuania for the Nato summit.
Corporations: Hydrogen firm Thyssenkrupp Nucera makes its inventory market debut in Frankfurt, whereas Liontrust Asset Administration shareholders vote on its acquisition of Swiss rival GAM right this moment.
5 extra high tales
1. US borrowing prices touched a 16-year excessive yesterday, prompting a world sell-off in shares and bonds. Europe’s Stoxx 600 index closed down 2.3 per cent, its greatest one-day drop since March, as sturdy jobs information within the US intensified expectations of additional rate of interest will increase by the Federal Reserve. Learn the complete story.
2. Twitter has threatened to sue Meta over Threads, alleging it stole the corporate’s commerce secrets and techniques when creating the brand new rival social media app. Meta chief Mark Zuckerberg stated yesterday greater than 30mn individuals had signed up lower than 24 hours after Threads’ launch. Right here’s what Twitter’s lawyer wrote in a letter to Zuckerberg.
Opinion: It appears like 2006 yet again, writes Tim Bradshaw. A brand new social community has set the web alight with chatter concerning the potentialities.
3. Taiwan has rejected China’s declare that it might simply sink the US Navy’s most superior plane service strike group after a Beijing-backed establishment revealed a paper a couple of conflict recreation. The paper claimed the simulation confirmed an assault with 24 hypersonic anti-ship missiles might sink a flotilla led by the USS Gerald R Ford “with certainty”.
4. US regulators have authorised the primary drug proven to sluggish the development of Alzheimer’s, paving the way in which for thousands and thousands of People to entry the therapy. Lecanemab, now recognized by the model title Leqembi, was developed by Japanese drugmaker Eisai and US biotech firm Biogen to deal with the neurodegenerative illness.
5. Delaying the London terminus for Britain’s new HS2 high-speed railway line will value at the least £200mn, the Home of Commons public accounts committee has warned. The MPs additionally stated the finances for the undertaking, which had already suffered delays and enormous value overruns, was “unrealistic” from the start. Learn extra from the cross-party group’s report.
How effectively did you retain up with the information this week? Take our quiz.
The Large Learn
Cobalt, the silver steel so ample within the Democratic Republic of Congo that miners can dig it out with primary instruments, is crucial for the world’s clear power transition. Demand is predicted to triple by 2035, primarily for electric-vehicle batteries. However the small-scale miners fuelling this transition by means of “artisanal mining” — a reputation that belies a rudimentary and dangerous observe — face excessive hazard and exploitation.
We’re additionally studying . . .
Chart of the day
The riots in France, spurred by the loss of life of a youngster of North African descent throughout a site visitors cease, present simply how entrenched inequalities have grow to be between immigrants and people born within the nation, writes chief information reporter John Burn-Murdoch. Regardless of claims that France is race-blind, the information tells a special story.
Take a break from the information
Learn the way a patents knowledgeable, a music professor and a software program engineer set about cracking a 445-year-old code to disclose the secrets and techniques of Mary Queen of Scots.
Extra contributions by Miles Ellingham and Benjamin Wilhelm
Advisable newsletters for you
Asset Administration — Discover out the within story of the movers and shakers behind a multitrillion-dollar business. Enroll right here
The Week Forward — Begin each week with a preview of what’s on the agenda. Enroll right here