Middle East

Hong Kong news agency suspends operations in crackdown on opposition

Citizen News, an online news agency, announced a few days after police attacked and arrested seven people for sedition in another democratization news agency.

Citizen News is the third news outlet to close in the last few months, following the Democratic Newspaper’s Apple Daily and the online site Stand News. (Reuters)

Hong Kong’s online news site has announced that it will shut down a few days after police attacked and arrested seven people for instigating in another democratization news agency, given the deteriorating freedom of the press.

Citizen News announced the decision in a Facebook post on Sunday. It was said that the site will not be updated on January 4th and will be closed after that.

“We all love this place deeply. Unfortunately, what was in front of us was not only rain and wind, but also hurricanes and tsunamis,” he said in a statement. increase.

“We never forgot our original intentions. Sadly, with the changes in the sea of ​​society and the deterioration of the media environment over the last two years, we no longer fear and strive to realize our beliefs. I can not do it.”

Citizen News is the third news outlet to close in the last few months, following the Democratic Newspaper’s Apple Daily and the online site Stand News.

Authorities challenge in a semi-autonomous city, once known as a vibrant media hub, after Beijing enforced a radical national security law following a major anti-democratic movement in 2019. I silenced that.

read more: U.S. Demands Release of Stand News Employees Detained in China, Hong Kong

Crackdown on opposition

Imminent closure of Citizen News It was a few days after authorities attacked Stand News and arrested seven people, including editors and former directors who allegedly colluded to publish incendiary material.

Stand News announced on the same day that it will be closed.

Two of the former Stand News editors arrested were later formally charged with sedition.

In December, opposition parties were excluded from elections under a new law that exposed all candidates to the test of loyalty, and a memorial to commemorate the bloody crackdown on the Tiananmen Square Incident in Beijing in 1989 was demolished.

The United States and other Western governments have blamed the press and reduced civil liberties that Beijing promised to support for 50 years after Hong Kong was handed over from Britain in 1997.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam defended the Stand News raid last week, telling reporters that “inciting others … can’t be tolerated under the guise of news coverage.”

read more:
Hong Kong police attack anti-Beijing news agency and arrest 6 people

Source: TRT World and distributors

https://www.trtworld.com/asia/hong-kong-news-outlet-to-cease-operations-amid-crackdown-on-dissent-53245?utm_source=other&utm_medium=rss Hong Kong news agency suspends operations in crackdown on opposition

Back to top button