Asia

Killing Attempt Leaves Argentina’s Vice President Unscathed

“Most Significant Event”:
Local media reported that a 35-year-old Brazilian is a suspect in an attempted murder that was thwarted by a jammed handgun.

Argentine Vice President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner is suspected of being shot by a man near her home in Buenos Aires on Thursday.

In an address to the nation, Argentine President Alberto Fernandez said, “For reasons that have not yet been confirmed technically, despite pulling the trigger, the gun containing five bullets did not fire and Christina survived.” I’m here.

“This is the most serious event since democracy was restored in 1983,” Fernandez said.

Photo: AFP/TV PUBLICA

Footage from the incident showed a man pointing a gun at close range at Kirchner, who was president from 2007 to 2015 and is currently facing corruption charges.

The incident occurred in the upmarket Recoleta neighborhood of Buenos Aires.

“I saw this arm behind me with a gun and over my shoulder.

Argentine Security Minister Anibal Fernandez said the suspect was arrested Thursday night, but investigators still had to investigate the crime scene and the circumstances surrounding the case.

Local media said the suspect was a 35-year-old Brazilian citizen.

Alberto Fernandez yesterday proclaimed a holiday that allows people to “defend the life of democracy and express themselves in solidarity with the Vice President”.

Several prominent Latin American politicians have voiced their support for the 69-year-old Kirchner after the attack failed.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, a strong ally of Kirchner, expressed his support on Twitter.

“We send our solidarity to Vice President Christina Kirchner in the face of the attack on her life,” he wrote. I categorically refuse.The great Motherland is with you, comrade!”

Chilean President Gabriel Boric also expressed support.

“The assassination attempt… deserves the denial and condemnation of an entire continent,” he wrote on Twitter. “The way is always a discussion of ideas and dialogue, not weapons and violence.”

Bolivian President Luis Arce also expressed support for Kirchner.

Domestically, the opposition Together for Change condemned the attempted attack on Kirchner and called for a full investigation.

Opposition leader Mauricio Macri, who succeeded Kirchner as president, tweeted: “I absolutely deny the attack Christina Kirchner suffered. Luckily no one was injured.” “This very serious act requires an immediate and detailed investigation by prosecutors and security forces.”

Kirchner, who trained as a lawyer to replace her late husband Nestor Kirchner, has been accused of fraudulently awarding public works contracts in her political stronghold of Patagonia.

Argentine government prosecutors have accused her of defrauding the country of an estimated $1 billion and are seeking a 12-year prison sentence and a lifetime ban from political activity.

Over the past few days, hundreds of Christina Kirchner supporters have gathered in front of her house to protest the allegations.

“Nothing they said has been proven,” Kirchner said last week.

A verdict in her case is scheduled for the end of the year.

She is President of the Argentine Senate, enjoys parliamentary immunity and has legal protection.

Even if convicted, she won’t go to jail unless her sentence is confirmed by the Supreme Court of Argentina or she loses her seat in the Senate in next year’s election.

Comments are moderated. Please keep your comments relevant to the article. Statements containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotions will be removed and users will be banned.The final decision is at the discretion of Taipei Times.

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2022/09/03/2003784685 Killing Attempt Leaves Argentina’s Vice President Unscathed

Show More
Back to top button