When it launched in 2008, Evernote grew to become the go-to software for a lot of for taking notes, monitoring paperwork, organizing initiatives, and usually being the place to place something you would possibly need to discover later. Nonetheless, in the previous few years, Evernote’s fame has suffered on account of an overloaded interface, privateness missteps, elevated charges, and efficiency points.
And as if that wasn’t sufficient, final 12 months, the appliance was acquired by app developer Bending Spoons, and that firm has just lately introduced that it was shedding most of its US workers and transferring Evernote’s operations to Europe.
When an app is trusted by numerous individuals — particularly one which’s been round lengthy sufficient in order that numerous its customers might have a variety of information saved in it — and main adjustments are instituted, the primary thought that many may have is: what is going to occur to my information?
Whereas it’s often not a good suggestion to panic, it by no means hurts to again up your information in case you resolve it’s time to bail. In case you’re transferring to a different app, it might be simpler than you’d suppose — many related apps, similar to Notion, Joplin, and Zoho Pocket book, provide methods to import Evernote information immediately. However even in case you don’t plan to modify, it’s a good suggestion to know the right way to export your information, if solely to have an impartial backup of your content material, simply in case.
Word: you possibly can solely export information utilizing the Evernote native software for PCs or Macs; you possibly can’t do it from the net or cellular variations.
Export all of your particular person notes
Evernote divides its notes into separate notebooks. If you wish to simply export your notes regardless of which pocket book they’re in, you possibly can — however in present variations of Evernote (model 10 and up), you possibly can solely export 100 at a time. (You’ll find out which model you’ve got by going to Evernote > About Evernote and searching on the prime line of the textual content on the backside of the pop-out field.)
There’s a workaround to this 100-note restrict, which we’ll get to in a minute. However in the meantime, in case you’re exporting from a present model of Evernote:
- Choose Notes.
- Click on on Edit > Choose All. You’ll see that solely 100 notes are chosen.
- If you wish to go forward, go to File > Export Notes…
- You’ll get a pop-up window. Choose the format you need to export your pocket book in: ENEX or HTML. In case you select HTML, you possibly can export all of the notes to a single webpage or divide them up into separate pages.
- You can too resolve whether or not you need to omit any of the notes’ attributes, similar to creator (pointless in case you’re the one one utilizing the app), tags, location, and many others. Simply uncheck any attributes you don’t want.
- Click on on Export.
Remember that in case you export in HTML, you possibly can simply learn the information in a browser; as well as, some note-keeping apps will import HTML information. Alternatively, as talked about above, fairly a number of competing apps will mechanically import Evernote’s ENEX format or information you thru the method — clearly, to encourage Evernote customers emigrate.
Right here is the workaround: you possibly can export all of your notes in a single fell swoop utilizing a legacy model of Evernote. Legacy Evernote is accessible for the Mac and Home windows PC on the Web Archive. When you’ve put in that model (and it may be put in alongside the extra fashionable model):
- Go to All Notes.
- Clicking Edit > Choose All.
- Click on on File > Export Notes…
After that, you’ll get the identical pop-up as above; simply comply with the identical instructions. And put together for a wait — particularly in case you have a variety of notes, this is not going to be a brief export.
Alternatively, in case you export pocket book by pocket book, you possibly can export all the notes in every pocket book and preserve your notes organized (in case you simply export all of the notes, you lose that group). For instance, I had one pocket book that had over 2,074 notes, and by exporting that pocket book, I used to be capable of export the notes inside it and not using a drawback. So in case you have a variety of notes that aren’t in any pocket book however don’t need to use both of the options above, one other technique is to create a pocket book — known as, for instance, EverythingElse — and transfer all of your stray notes into that so as to make it simpler to export them.
Sadly, you possibly can’t export all of your notebooks without delay — it needs to be separately. However exporting seven dozen notebooks is loads simpler than exporting a number of thousand notes at 100 at a time — or making an attempt to reorganize these a number of thousand notes. Right here’s how:
- In Evernote’s left-hand menu, the place all of your notebooks are listed, right-click on the pocket book you need to export.
- Click on on Export pocket book…
- You’ll get the pop-up window the place you choose the format you need to export your pocket book in — ENEX or HTML. Once more, in case you select HTML, you possibly can export all of the notes to a single webpage or divide them up into separate pages.
- If the pocket book has numerous notes and you might be exporting it in ENEX, you might be given the chance to separate up the file into extra manageable sizes — simply click on the Cut up file dimension by field.
- Once more, you may also resolve whether or not you need to omit any of the notes’ attributes.
- Click on on Export.
Repeat for every pocket book.
Fortunately, Evernote notebooks don’t take lengthy to export, however in case you have a variety of notebooks, get able to put aside a while for this process.
Replace July tenth, 2023, 2:05PM ET: This text was initially revealed on March 14th, 2019, and has been up to date to account for adjustments in Evernote’s export options and in Evernote’s firm standing.