Saturday’s Saudi-led coalition launched a “massive” attack on Yemen after a missile launched by Iran-backed Houthi rebels killed two people in the kingdom.
The Houthis warned Yemen’s oil-rich northern neighbors of a “painful” reaction if the coalition did not stop its “invasion” of conflict-stricken countries.
Yemen has been suffering from a civil war since 2014, pushing an internationally recognized government backed by a Saudi-led military coalition against the Houthi, which controls most of the north.
According to Saudi Arabia’s civil defense, recent violence occurred overnight when two people, Saudi Arabia and Yemen, were killed in a projectile attack on Jazan.
“A military projectile fell into a commercial store on Main Street, killing two people,” adding that six Saudis and Bangladeshi people were injured.
Images from the official Saudi Arabian press, allegedly the aftermath of the attack, showed a large crater on the ground, destroying the vehicle.
Shortly thereafter, the Saudi-led coalition said it was “preparing for a major military operation.”
Later, airstrikes began, stating that “three civilians, including children and women, were killed and six were injured,” a Yemeni medical official told AFP.
Saudi officials said the coalition government will hold a press conference on Sunday to keep up with the latest developments and have released earlier recommendations for Saturday.
Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree warned Saudi Arabia that “as long as attacks and crimes continue, it will be a painful operation.”
Armed groups often launch missiles and drones into Saudi Arabia, targeting their airports and oil infrastructure.
The latest is the first in more than three years to die in the kingdom, recording the first death from a Houthi missile attack when a missile attacked Riyadh in 2018.
It also happens as the coalition bombs Sana’a and the battle between the two intensifies.
The U.S. Navy said this week it had seized 1,400 AK-47 rifles and ammunition from a fishing vessel claiming to be smuggling weapons from Iran to the Houthi.
“The stateless vessels originated in Iran and were evaluated as having passed the high seas along the route historically used to illegally transport weapons to the Houthi movement in Yemen.”
On Thursday, the day after the coalition targeted the Houthi military camp in Sana’a, the military alliance shot down a bomb-laden drone near Abuha Airport in the south of the kingdom, dropping debris nearby, but leaving no casualties. Said that.
Earlier this week, aid flights were exempted for Sana’a Airport, which had been significantly suspended due to a Saudi-led blockade since August 2016.
http://www.gulf-times.com/story/706857/Saudi-led-coalition-launches-large-scale-Yemen-ope Saudi-led coalition launches “massive” Yemeni operation