Europe

Tennis: Berrettini misses Wimbledon at COVID-English

(ANSA)-Rome, June 28-Last year’s defeated Italian Matteo Berrettini will not be able to compete in this year’s Wimbledon Championship after being infected with COVID-19, a Roman tennis player said in an Instagram profile on Tuesday. rice field.

“It’s heartbreaking to announce that we need to withdraw from @ wimbledon because the COVID-19 test was positive,” said the 26-year-old world, who lost to Serbian legend Novak Djokovic in last year’s final. Number 11 said. The first Italian to reach that point.

After recently returning from a hand injury to win Stuttgart and Queens, Berrettini, the eighth seeded, was one of the favorites of this year’s title.

“I have the flu symptoms and have been isolated for the last few days.

The symptoms weren’t terrible, but this morning I decided it was important to take another test to protect the health and safety of other athletes and everyone in the tournament.

“There is no word to explain the extreme disappointment I feel.

“This year’s dream is over, but I will be stronger again.

“Thanks to support (ANSA).

All rights reserved © Copyright ANSA