The Cuvier’s beetle (Ziphius cavirostris) was found dead on Monday at Cremasty Beach on Rhodes, the Ministry of Energy announced Wednesday. Initial autopsy showed that a 5.3-meter-long mammal swallowed more than 15 kilograms of plastic waste and died.
Veterinarians and marine biologists collected animal samples and sent them to the Veterinary School at Aristotle University of Aristotle in Thessaloniki.
Professor Anastasia Komninou of the University of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, said: , The person who oversaw the autopsy.
“In this case, a large amount of plastic was found in the whale’s stomach, which prevented the whale from eating properly, resulting in cachexia and death,” Komuninou added.
The issue of plastics is “deeply felt in the Mediterranean, which is considered one of the most burdensome regions in the world,” said Jorgos Amiras, Deputy Environment Minister.
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2022/05/04/whale-dead-rhodes-plastic-waste-greece/ The whale was found dead in the stomach with over 15 kg of plastic