The woman remembers boarding a 14-day ship for a pilgrimage to Mecca in 1963.

July 16th, Mecca (Bernama)-A woman recalls her first trip to the Sanctuary about 60 years ago.

At that time, she boarded a boat and went on a pilgrimage to Mecca with her grandparents. She traveled 14 days on a huge wave that witnessed the deaths of two people on board. It was in 1963 and provided her with her precious memories.

Che Saodah Abdull Hamid (rpt: Che Saodah Abdull Hamid) said she was 17 when she and her grandparents boarded a ship at Penang Harbor, led by a man known only as “Shake.” ..

She said “Shake” was responsible for bringing pilgrims from the country to the Sanctuary for the Mecca pilgrimage.

“We gathered at his house for the first break before boarding the ship,” said a woman who is now 76 years old and has six children.

Based on the document “Pas HajiKe Makkah 1963′” presented to the reporter, “Sheikh” was Hajj Tajudin Amin, who was responsible for the Mecca pilgrimage in Malaya and Singapore.

Che Saodah said his grandparents took her on a journey after saving enough for the pilgrimage.

“My grandparents were paddy farmers and they kept the money they saved at home … people at the time kept money under pillows and mattresses. They saved enough. When they showed the money to the village headman.

“But the money was not given to the village mayor, but to Pengle, who gave them money to the Mecca Pilgrimage Commission. After a while, the Mecca Pilgrimage Commission asked us to be vaccinated. He said and handed over our passport. As stated at Hajj Pass, we had to follow the shake, “she said in the Keda dialect.

According to Che Saodah, pilgrims brought a variety of foods such as rice, dried meat, anchovies and salted eggs, and cookware such as metal plates and cups and kerosene stoves on their pilgrimage journey.

She said there were about 200 pilgrims on board, classified into categories A, B, C, or categories A, B, C, depending on the price of the tickets purchased.

“Grandparents and I belonged to Category C because the ticket price is RM1,500 per person. Our location was on the lower deck, which sometimes gets wet with sea spray.

“After a week of voyage, the captain informed the speaker about the death of a man on the upper deck.

“There was another death in the second week. A man fell down the stairs and died … Tok Wan (grandmother) felt dizzy and told him to go up to the upper deck. At that time, I was prepared. I saw him there. He was thrown into the sea.

“The body with a piece of metal tied to its legs was put into a small boat. I heard the story and the reading of Dua while I was lowering the body into the sea. At that time, the ship was sailing at low speed. After the body was thrown into the sea, it accelerated again, “he added, adding that the ship was moored in Aden Bay for two days before continuing its journey to Jedda.

While the ship was moored in the Gulf of Aden, Choi Saoda was asked by pilgrims to prepare their own meals and received the food stored in the name-printed bags stored in the store. I said it was allowed.

She said it was an exciting 14-day trip to Jeddah and thanked the “shake” and the good treatment by the crew on board.

Now, Cik Saodah, who has six children, remembers why she settled in Macca.

“It was unexpected, but fateful,” she said, adding that upon arriving in Jeddah, an Arab known as Mohammad Mukumina had to wait another two days before taking them to Macca. rice field.

She said they arrived in Mecca in the month of Sha’ban, which forced them to wait another four months for the Mecca pilgrimage season.

She stayed at her grandparents Muhammad Muhammad’s house, when she married her husband Abdul Rahman. Abdul Rahman was the son of her grandfather’s friend and was an imam at The Hill Mosque in Alor Setar, Kedah at the time.

Abdul Rahman has been in Mecca since arriving in Mecca with his family. He married Cik Saodah at the age of 22, and in 1963 the couple went on a pilgrimage to Mecca together.

Before getting married, Cik Saodah said her grandfather asked her if she was happy to be in Macca.

“When I said I liked staying in Mecca, he suggested that I marry Abdul Rahman. So I married Abdul Rahman. We two of each other I didn’t know or met. I was just told to marry a Malay, not an Arab. I saw his face only on our wedding night. ” She added that her husband had been in Mecca since he was four years old.

She said the situation in Macca, Arafat, Muzdalifah and Mina was very different at the time, and although she could choose between a bus or an ox cart, she had to walk a considerable distance to these places. Said.

At that time, food was also provided by Arabs, so I slept in a tent that was set up using only one pole.

Che Saodah said that “sheikh” returned the SR150 to her because she did not return to Malaysia after the Mecca pilgrimage trip.

“I still have money,” she said.

Asked if she had missed Malaysia now that she lives in Macca, Choi Saoda, the eldest son of nine brothers, felt sad at first, but the sadness disappeared over time.

“In 1975, I returned to Malaysia. It was my first time to fly. After that, I came back several times and met my family in Malaysia with my children. Last time, COVID- It was 2019 before the 19th pandemic, “she said when interviewed at her home here.

Despite living in Macca, Choi Saoda from Alor Setar maintains Malay culture in addition to Arabic and speaks with children in the Kedah dialect.

After her husband died on October 10, 1992, she is now living with her children.


Bernama is a reliable source of reliable, real-time, comprehensive and accurate news for both the general public and media professionals.Our news is published at BERNAMA TV on: Astro Channel 502, unifi TV Channel 631, MYTV Channel 121 IFLIX; Bernama Radio is FM93. It is broadcast locally at 9.

Follow us on social media:
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
twitter : @, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
Ticktaku: @bernamaofficial The woman remembers boarding a 14-day ship for a pilgrimage to Mecca in 1963.

Back to top button