By Marnie Hunter | CNN
Peru’s capital metropolis – and undoubtedly its gastronomic capital – had an incredible displaying Tuesday at The World’s 50 Greatest Eating places awards, taking the No. 1 title and incomes extra slots within the prime 50 than every other metropolis.
4 Lima eating places made the 50 Greatest record: Central at No. 1, Maido at No. 6, Kjolle at No. 28 and Mayta at No. 47. Kjolle is new to the highest 50 this yr.
Central, led by led by Virgilio Martinez and Pía Léon, has been delivering wonderful eating that includes Peruvian substances and methods for 15 years. The restaurant “takes diners via 15 totally different Peruvian ecosystems, categorised by altitude – from 15 metres below the Pacific Ocean to 4,200 metres up within the Andes,” the 50 Greatest web site says. Kjolle is Léon’s solo enterprise.
Central is the primary South American restaurant to earn the “World’s Greatest” title.
The awards – an occasion thought of the Oscars of worldwide wonderful eating – have been introduced Tuesday night from the Metropolis of Arts and Sciences, a group of futuristic areas designed by famend architect Santiago Calatrava, within the southern Spanish metropolis of Valencia.
The remainder of the record
The host nation carried out very effectively on this yr’s awards with six entries from Spain within the prime 50, together with the world’s No. 2 restaurant, Disfrutar in Barcelona. Spain additionally scooped up No. 3 and No. 4 with Diverxo in Madrid and Asador Etxebarri in Atxondo within the Basque area.
Italy and France additionally carried out effectively in Europe, with 5 eating places in Italy and 4 in France inserting within the prime 50. In England, London earned a formidable three slots.
In Asia, the town to look at is Bangkok, the place two eating places appeared on the record for the primary time, each breaking into the highest 20: Le Du at No. 15 and Gaggan Anand at No. 17.
From the USA, two New York eating places made it into the highest 50. Atomix moved to No. 8 from final yr’s No. 33 slot, incomes the Highest Climber award in addition to Greatest Restaurant in North America. Longtime favourite Le Bernardin, helmed by chef Éric Ripert, additionally made the highest 50 at No. 44.
This yr’s prime 50 consists of eating places from 24 territories on 5 continents, with 12 eating places getting into the record for the primary time.
Eating places are permitted to scoop the awards’ prime prize solely as soon as, after which they’re entered right into a separate “Better of the Greatest” program. Members of that elite group embody Geranium and Noma in Copenhagen, in addition to New York’s Eleven Madison Park, The Fats Duck close to London, Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy, and Mirazur in Menton, France. Central strikes into the Better of the Greatest subsequent yr.
The world’s 50 greatest eating places 2023
1. Central (Lima, Peru) – Greatest Restaurant in South America
2. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain) – Greatest Restaurant in Europe
3. Diverxo (Madrid, Spain)
4. Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo, Spain)
5. Alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark)
6. Maido (Lima, Peru)
7. Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy)
8. Atomix (New York Metropolis) – Highest Climber, Greatest Restaurant in North America
9. Quintonil (Mexico Metropolis, Mexico)
10. New: Desk by Bruno Verjus (Paris, France) – Highest New Entry
11. New: Trèsind Studio (Dubai, UAE) – Greatest Restaurant within the Center East and Africa
12. A Casa do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)
13. Pujol (Mexico Metropolis, Mexico)
14. Odette (Singapore) – Greatest Restaurant in Asia and Chef’s Alternative: Julien Royer
15. New: Le Du (Bangkok, Thailand)
16. Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy)
17. New: Gaggan Anand (Bangkok, Thailand)
18. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
19. Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
20. Quique Dacosta (Dénia, Spain)
21. Den (Tokyo, Japan)
22. Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
23. New: Kol (London, England)
24. Septime (Paris, France)
25. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
26. Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
27. Florilège (Tokyo, Japan)
28. New: Kjolle (Lima, Peru)
29. Boragó (Santiago, Chile)
30. Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
31. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
32. Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
33. New: El Chato (Bogotá, Colombia)
34. Uliassi (Senigallia, Italy)
35. Ikoyi (London, England)
36. New: Plénitude (Paris, France)
37. New: Sézanne (Tokyo, Japan)
38. The Clove Membership (London, England)
39. The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
40. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
41. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
42. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
43. Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
44. Le Bernardin (New York Metropolis)
45. Nobelhart & Schmutzig (Berlin, Germany)
46. New: Orfali Bros (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
47. Mayta (Lima, Peru)
48. New: La Grenouillère (La Madelaine-sous-Montreuil, France)
49. New: Rosetta (Mexico Metropolis)
50. The Chairman (Hong Kong)
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2023 Cable Information Community, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Firm. All rights reserved.