Trains reopen, road closures continue –

Despite the initial effectiveness of fire-fighting measures, the fire in Berlin’s Grünewald remains “extremely dangerous,” according to the fire brigade. A 1,000-meter safety zone around the site is still being maintained since the fire broke out on Thursday.


Fire trucks, buffer tanks and police cars are parked near the fire site.

On Saturday, however, rail traffic eased. The fire brigade, in consultation with police, has reopened train lines at the edge of the restricted area.This means Public transport Like long distance traffic, it can start running again on the line. The train runs between the main stations in Berlin and Potsdam. Not only S-Bahn trains but also regional trains, ICs and ICEs were affected.

Avus remains closed

A spokesperson said rail services will be gradually resumed. However, Abbas Highway 115, which runs parallel to the tracks just a little closer to the danger zone, will remain closed until at least Sunday. Firefighters expect the containment area around the fire to remain intact for several days. “Firefighting measures at the blast site and cooling measures for these three hotspots as defined by the blast masters are working,” fire brigade spokesman Thomas Kirstein said in Berlin on Saturday. The challenge now is to ensure cooling of the site, he said.

Blast site situation still out of control

“Even if you release railroad traffic, the perimeter barrier remains in place,” Kirstein said. The situation at the blast site is not yet under control. “Of course there is great danger there,” said Kirstein. Armored vehicles and robots are used there for cooling. Temperatures as high as 700 degrees were recorded on Friday. Kirstein did not provide information about the new temperature. “It’s being monitored permanently,” he said.

Blast site must be cooled

Susanne Bauer, head of the Berlin Police Criminal Investigative Institute, has announced an investigation into the blast site. She “uses a protected vehicle to see what’s in the main path of the blast site, and we’re going to send firefighting robots there.” “Then the situation will be reassessed,” Bauer said.

Cause of fire still unknown

She was unable to provide any information about the cause of the fire and explosion. “Right now it’s a safety issue.” What’s in the spotlight is the danger emergency services need to address, she said. “Once the blast site is cleaned up, we can investigate the cause and go there with investigators.”

Firefighters prevent the spread of fire

Firefighters were able to contain the fire in the surrounding woods. “We put out small pockets of fire repeatedly,” said Kirstein. He added that the situation immediately around the blast site needs to be constantly reassessed. “But to do that, we first need a little more security at the blast site.”

Fire tank in use

There were no further explosions on Saturday night, the report continued. Remotely controlled robots used to survey the surroundings were removed during the night as the situation eased. Work continued on Saturday. Firefighters and special companies use fire tanks.

thursday and friday blast

A fire broke out at the site of the explosion on Thursday night. A large amount of old grenades, ammunition and confiscated fireworks were stored in a building on the site. Explosions were heard throughout the day, and fires spread across the dry woodlands. The blast site for destroying weapons and explosives has been around since 1950. The police are now in charge.

Author: dpa/

Publication date: August 6, 2022

Last updated: August 6, 2022

More news from Berlin Trains reopen, road closures continue –

Back to top button