Middle East

Ukrainian, pro-Russian rebels reach a “recovery” ceasefire transaction

Negotiators from Ukraine, Russia, and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe agree to resume and comply with the 2020 ceasefire agreement between the war sides of Ukraine.

The previous ceasefire agreement contributed significantly to reducing casualties last year (AFP).

Negotiators from Ukraine, Russia, and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) have agreed to restore a complete ceasefire between Ukrainian government forces and Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.

“We are pleased that the participants have expressed their strong determination to fully comply with the measures to strengthen the ceasefire agreement of 22 July 2020,” said the Special Representative of the Secretary-General of Ukraine and the Trilateral Liaison Group. TCG) Ambassador Mikko Kinnunen said in a statement on Wednesday.

“This (new agreement) is of paramount importance to people living on either side of the line,” Kinnunen said.

Kiev and Moscow have accused each other in recent months of a previous ceasefire breach, which was agreed in July 2020 and contributed to a significant reduction in casualties last year.

He reported that security along the line of contact remained volatile, with a daily average of about ceasefire violations recorded in December 2021 compared to December 2020, according to reports from a special surveillance mission. Said it was five times.

A large-scale battle between the Ukrainian army and the Russian support army was reached in 2015 in Minsk, the capital of Belarus, with the mediation of Germany and France. People and soldiers are regularly killed.

Russia expects security negotiations with US and NATO in January

Meanwhile, Russian Foreign Minister Sergeĭ Viklov said negotiations with the United States on Moscow’s security demands are expected to begin in January, fearing the conflict in Ukraine.

In his comment, US Assistant Secretary of State Karen Donfleet told reporters that he also understands that negotiations with Russia will begin in January, saying that some Russian proposals are “unacceptable.” After warning.

Last week, Moscow presented a drastic security request to the West in two draft documents. One was addressed to NATO and the other was addressed to the United States.

“At the beginning of next year, it was agreed that the first round (of negotiations) should be a bilateral contact between our negotiators and American negotiators,” Viklov said in Russia’s state news network. , Said in an interview with RT.

Russia has been accused by the West for attempting to invade Ukraine. It denied the allegations, then demanded legal guarantees on security from the United States and NATO, and demanded that the alliance stop expanding eastward.

Last week, Moscow presented its request to the United States and NATO, stating that the alliance should not allow new members or establish military bases in former Soviet countries.

Source: TRT World and distributors

https://www.trtworld.com/europe/deal-reached-to-restore-truce-between-ukraine-pro-russia-rebels-52913?utm_source=other&utm_medium=rss Ukrainian, pro-Russian rebels reach a “recovery” ceasefire transaction

Back to top button