UN calls on Yemen’s Houthi to release staff Two UNESCO and UN human rights officials were detained in Sana’a in early November.
The Yemeni Houthi movement has detained two UNESCO and UN human rights officials since early November.
In a joint statement on Tuesday, UN agencies called for the immediate release of detained personnel without revealing the details of the two individuals.
Yemeni government officials told Reuters that they were Yemeni staff members who had previously worked at the US Embassy in Sana’a.
“The United Nations has not received information about the reasons for their detention, the legal basis, or their current situation,” said UNESCO Secretary of State Audrey Azley and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet.
The United States said in November that Houthis, the de facto authority in northern Yemen, had detained several Yemeni employees at the US embassy in the capital, Sana’a, without revealing some.
“Abandon” local staff
The embassy was closed in 2015 after the Houthis expelled the internationally recognized government from Sana’a in late 2014. Since then, the mission has been operating in Saudi Arabia.
The State Department has called for a movement to immediately release all US Yemeni employees unharmed, vacate the embassy grounds, and return seized property.
Houthi officials have not commented on detention.
The head of the group’s Supreme Revolutionary Commission criticized the United States for “abandoning” local staff.
The Houthi movement in collaboration with Iran has fought a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia for over six years.
https://www.trtworld.com/middle-east/un-urges-yemen-s-houthis-to-release-staff-members-53088?utm_source=other&utm_medium=rss UN urges Yemeni Houthi to release staff