Maybe it is because the new year has begun. We tend to stop and reflect on what we experienced in the past year. Perhaps it is because 2021 was a challenge, and we realize that it doesn’t take a lot for life to throw you off course. Whatever the reason, people are buzzing about saving money, paying down their debt, and maybe saving a little extra in 2022. There are a lot of interesting articles online to help you. This article published on Lottoland’s site about moneysaving tips, has many easy ways to begin a healthy financial journey.
We, too, have been researching the subject. We are here to offer you some unique ways to save money in the coming year. You will soon see that you can find many small ways to save a bit, and those bits add up to big money over a year. So, let’s get started.
As with anything worth doing, you need to lay some groundwork. First, review your expenses and identify anything you can painlessly reduce. Try to determine where too much money is being spent. As silly as it is to say, spending less is the trick to saving money is. That means do not buy more than you need and do not pay more than you should.
You can download several free apps on your mobile phone to help you track your spending and set a budget. Sometimes we do not realize how much we have spent on eating out or stopping for designer coffee until we see the numbers over some time. Once you have set your limits and downloaded an app to help, you are ready to start saving some cash.
Photo credit: Karolina Grabowska
Look around, read, ask.
Many times there are ways to save money at the very places you use, but you never know it. Take the time to look around for signs about promotions and schemes to save you money. If you shop at a particular place often, read their website to see if they have a membership card that will help you save. Ask the associates if they have any special deals that benefit their customers. Here are some things you may come across:
- Some major coffee shops will give you a discounted price if you bring your own cup. Some will give you a free coffee with the purchase of so many coffees. Some will actually charge you a little more if you don’t bring your own cup.
- Some beauty supply manufacturers will give you vouchers toward purchases if you return your empty containers to them for recycling. You save money and help your favorite product become more sustainable.
- Join loyalty rewards clubs at your supermarket and pharmacy. You can get special discounts, samples, vouchers, and sometimes cashback offers that the unregistered consumer does not know about. Also, check for senior discounts on particular days and times.
- Email your pet care, food, and supply manufacture. Let them know that you prefer their brand and would like to use it as long as you can afford to. Often they will send you vouchers and samples of their products.
- Clothing and shoe stores are becoming more “green-thinking.” laces like H & M, Marks & Spencer, and Schuh offer nice vouchers in exchange for old clothing and shoe donations. Check the store’s websites for details.
Buy a railcard
The price of riding the rails in England and Wales will increase by 3.8% in March 2022. Depending on your travel destinations, you can save from 30% to 50% by purchasing a railcard. This expense pays for itself. Check with the rail station for additional trip discounts that can apply.
Don’t forget to file a claim for any train ride you purchased that is delayed for 15-minutes or more. It does not matter what caused the delay. You are due compensation. If you don’t care about the money, you can opt to donate it to charity.
Repair instead of replacing
A new law has gone into effect. Manufacturers of major appliances must now make spare parts for washers, dryers, dishwashers, and other major home appliances so the homeowner will have a reasonable option to repair an item rather than replace it. Furter, repairs must be possible using standard tools.
Check out your local library.
Teach your children to love reading. The local library is filled with books and activities that inspire children of all ages and spark their natural love for learning. You can usually check out physical books, e-books, and audiobooks. Some will let you read digital magazines and newspapers from your smartphone. All of this knowledge and entertainment is for free.
Cutting expenses on car insurance, banking, cell phone providers, and credit card fees can go a long way toward opening up your cash flow. Think about recycling. Take your last year’s clothes to swap shops. Barter your services to save you and your friend’s money on things like babysitting, shopping, and transporting people to their appointments. Your best tool for change is a new outlook on your situation. In this case, it pays to look ahead with new visions and new goals. Make 2022 a great year for yourself and your family, with just a few changes.