Philips Hue Safe is a brand new good house safety system from the good lighting firm. The system was introduced together with some new good safety cameras in August and is now reside within the Hue app. Nevertheless, for those who’re a Philips Hue consumer, you don’t want to purchase the brand new cameras to make use of the brand new security measures; you simply must replace your app to model 5.0.1.
The system works with Hue’s current good lights, movement sensors, and new contact sensors ($39.99) that monitor doorways and home windows. When armed, if the system detects movement or different exercise, you get an alert and may select to set off all of your lights to flash and even set off a Star Trek-style purple alert. Add in Hue’s new safety cameras, and also you get the choice of triggering their built-in siren, too.
What it’s good to use Philips Hue Safe
To arrange Hue Safe, you want a Hue Bridge ($59.99), Hue lights, and a minimum of one sensor. This could be a Hue movement sensor (indoor or outside), the brand new Hue contact sensors, or any of Hue’s new safety cameras (coming later this 12 months). As talked about, the cameras embrace a siren in addition to motion-sensing capabilities.
For those who don’t have any Hue merchandise, you’ll be able to decide up a Hue Safe starter equipment that features two bulbs, a movement sensor, and three contact sensors, plus a bridge for $299.99.
There is no such thing as a payment to make use of Hue Safe. Nevertheless, the Hue Safe cameras, which begin at $199.99, have an elective subscription plan so as to add cloud storage of recorded video and good alerts for movement, individual, animal, car, and bundle detection. This begins at $3.99 month-to-month / $39.99 yearly per digital camera.
arrange Philips Hue Safe house safety monitoring
When you’ve up to date your app to the newest model, you’ll get a immediate to arrange Hue Safe the primary time you open it. (For those who don’t see this display or select to skip it, you’ll be able to set it up later by way of the brand new Safety tab within the app’s settings).
- Select which gadgets you wish to use to provide you with a warning when there’s exercise in your house. These will probably be any movement sensors, contact sensors, and / or cameras you have got in your Hue system.
- Select if a tool will monitor when the system is Armed: House or Armed: Away. (Tip: for Armed: House, solely select gadgets which are exterior sensors or on a distinct ground so that you don’t set off them by chance.)
- Activate notifications for the sensors. This can make sure you get an alert when movement is detected, when a contact sensor is triggered, or (when you’ve got a Safe digital camera) if an individual / pet / car is detected. Establishing alerts is crucial, because the system won’t robotically set off an alarm — you have to manually activate one.
- Arrange an alarm. For those who solely have lights, you’ll be able to flash the lights white or purple (when you’ve got colour bulbs). If in case you have cameras, additionally, you will see the choice to activate a siren.
- When you’ve chosen an motion, choose which lights in your house will flash, and select completely different choices for whenever you’re house versus whenever you’re away.
- Lastly, you’ll be able to select so as to add an emergency contact quantity. This can pop up alongside 911 on the Take Motion display when movement is detected so you’ll be able to rapidly name them from that display.
use Hue Safe
- As soon as Hue Safe is ready up, a brand new Safety possibility seems on the homepage of the Hue app. Faucet this to arm or disarm the system. You’ll be able to select Arm: House or Arm: Away to activate your sensors.
- If you faucet both one, you get a 30-second countdown (configurable in settings) till your sensors begin monitoring for movement.
- When the system is armed, any movement detected will ship an alert to your telephone saying “movement detected” and indicating the place and when it was detected.
- Faucet on the alert to open the Take Motion display within the Hue app.
- You’ve gotten three choices: faucet Disarm, faucet All Protected to dismiss the alert however preserve the system armed, or faucet Take Motion.
- Selecting Take Motion will convey up a second display from which you’ll select to name 911, name your emergency contact, flip all lights to vivid, or set off the alarm.
- You have to faucet and slide the alarm set off to set off the alarm. This can make your lights flash, and any sirens sound in whichever manner you configured them in settings.
- Faucet once more to cease the alarm.
The Hue app additionally now has a brand new timeline the place you’ll be able to see a historical past of security-related occasions comparable to movement, when the system was armed or disarmed, and clips from any cameras.
At launch, Philips Hue Safe isn’t as strong a house safety system as, say, Ring Alarm, SimpliSafe, or Arlo’s new system — particularly, there’s no possibility for skilled monitoring and no bodily keypad. Nevertheless, as a free manner of including some good safety to your current merchandise, it’s a pleasant improve for Hue customers.
Screenshots by Jennifer Pattison Tuohy / The Verge